Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Gallery Talk @ Frist: "I've . . . shed my skin / This is the new stuff": March 21, 2009

Gallery Talk: "I've . . . shed my skin / This is the new stuff"
Saturday, March 21, 11:00 a.m.
Included with gallery admission, Members FREE

Dr. Dana Malone Kennedy, assistant professor of English at Watkins College of Art, Design and Film will present a gallery talk in the Paint Made Flesh exhibition titled, “I've . . . shed my skin / This is the new stuff” (from Peter Gabriel's song “Sledgehammer”). Her focus will be on the use of the body in the poetry of Anne Sexton, who also speaks of shedding skin as an approach to the divine. However, Sexton and feminist theorists have more to say about the body, and Dr. Kennedy will give feedback on paintings toward that end, including Susan Rothenberg’s Orange Break, Daniel Richter’s Duisen, Cecily Brown’s Figures in a Landscape, and Jack Levine’s
35 Minutes from Times Square.

No comments: